Sunday, April 20, 2008

Wild Weekend

My wild weekends are a little different, instead of staying up late I get up real early.
I visited this Osprey nest it's new and doesn't have much cover around it.I wasn't able to get any shots without disturbing the birds so I left it.
I found this one in an old Hemlock back in the woods, it has plenty of ground cover to conceal both me and my camera and keeps me a respectful distance from the nest.
The two birds make trips out to gather food and nesting material one usually stands guard while the other is gone.
These graceful birds don't appear to be very large until they spread those magnificent wings.
Further along I spotted this Muskrat having his breakfast he might want to watch out or he might become breakfast for the two Osprey's.
These two wild turkeys coming over that hill in the morning mist were a sight, I was only able to hold my position and not move or they would have been spooked.
Just started seeing these Whitetail Deer this week as they move from their winter yards back to greener pastures.
I have been enjoying the Wood Ducks and I'm getting closer to getting the shot I want of one of the brilliantly colored males. Note the reflections of the males in the water. Not sure where it got started but these formerly close neighbors are now not on speaking terms .
Just had to take this shot on the way home, when it comes to tree identification there are some I'm not sure of but anyone can tell this is a New England Rock Maple.
Thanks for sharing my wild weekend with me.

5 comments:

John Batchelder said...

Ah Grasshopper

You have arrived at the fourth level of photography. It seems you have discovered that it is better to give than receive!

What you used to hunt with steel and lead you now capture with glass and electrons.

The Osprey shots are excellent and the Woodies make me wish I was 11 years old and back on that hummock in the middle of the swamp!

Keep shooting!

Tracy Batchelder said...

You will rarely see a picture of the sunrise on my blog. So nice to take an early morning hike with you and not have to get up at the crack of dawn to do it. Enjoyed the pictures very much. The osprey are awesome!

Paul Batchelder said...

Great shots...did you spook the woodcock?

Dave said...

Mark,
The osprey photos are remarkable! The shot with wings spread is my favorite and you should be proud of it. Looks like you had a beautiful weekend. Thanks for sharing.

Katie said...

Mark,
These pictures are awesome! Especially the ones of the ducks and the osprey. The osprey don't look real!